When it comes to traveling, packing efficiently is an art. With airlines imposing strict weight limits on luggage, mastering the 20kg bag challenge is essential for frequent travellers. But how do you ensure you have everything you need while staying within the weight limit? Let’s dive in!
20kg in Stone
For those who are more familiar with the stone measurement, 20kg is approximately 3.15 stones. It might not seem like a lot, but with the right packing techniques, you can fit a surprising amount of essentials into your bag.
20kg in Grams
To break it down further, 20kg is equivalent to 20,000 grams. This might give you a better perspective when considering the weight of individual items you’re packing.
20kg Check-in Bag
Most airlines allow a check-in bag weight of up to 20kg for economy class passengers. This weight limit is generally sufficient for a week-long trip if you pack smartly.
Ryanair: The maximum dimensions of a 20kg Check-in Bag are 80 x 120cms x 120cm.
EasyJet: Passengers can purchase up to a 20kg hold luggage. The maximum total size must be under 275cm.
Wizz Air: Maximum size for checked-in bags 149 x 119 x 171 cm
British Airways: Checked baggage allowance is 23kg per bag; Up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35 x 30 x 17in)
Virgin Atlantic: Checked-in max weight 23kg, Maximum dimensions 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins)
Qatar Airways: Economy Class: 2 pieces each not exceeding 50lb/ 23kg with maximum dimensions of 62in/ 158cm.
Mastering the 20kg Bag Challenge
- Use Packing Cubes: These are small, zippered bags that compartmentalise your items. They not only help organise your belongings but also compress them, allowing you to fit more into your suitcase.
- Be Realistic: Don’t pack clothes or shoes you’re unlikely to need. Prioritise essentials.
- Utilise Space Efficiently: Rolling clothes can save a significant amount of space compared to folding. It also helps reduce wrinkles. Start with bulkier items like jeans and jackets, and then fill in the gaps with smaller rolled items. Fill shoes with socks, chargers, or other small items.
- Wear Your Bulkiest Items: If you’re traveling to a colder destination and need to bring a heavy jacket or boots, wear them during your flight. This way, they won’t take up valuable space in your luggage.
- Limit Toiletries: Only bring essential toiletries and consider buying travel-sized versions or using refillable mini bottles.
- Layering is Key: Instead of packing a different outfit for every day, consider packing versatile pieces that can be layered. This way, you can mix and match to create different looks without overpacking.
- Digitalise Entertainment: Instead of packing physical books, magazines, or travel guides, consider downloading them onto a tablet or e-reader.
- Re-evaluate and Remove: Once you’ve packed everything, take a moment to re-evaluate. Remove any items you’re unsure about or think you might not use
By implementing these space-saving tips, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of efficient packing. Remember, it’s not about how much you pack, but how smartly you pack. Traveling with a 20kg bag doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the right strategies and a bit of planning, you can ensure you have everything you need for your trip while staying within the airline’s weight limits. Safe travels!